Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml
Date: 2004-01-07 20:17:26
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dennis_Bj=F6rklund?= <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
>>> Bjrklund.
>>
>> It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
>> is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header.

> I hoped that pine was going to do it the correct way nowadays. I guess I
> have to remove it again (or read up on the subject so I know what is
> correct and what is not). I don't mind people not being able to read it,
> but I don't want to send non standard emails.

AFAICS, you're sending
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dennis_Bj=F6rklund?= <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
which is an instance of the encoding scheme Bruno mentioned. I have
never heard that it is only supposed to be used in Subject:
... certainly there are a ton of people besides you who use it in From:.
So I think you are legal.

Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
on which display I look at :-(. I think this is a font issue, but I
don't have enough motivation to track it down...