Re: Move postgresql_fdw_validator into dblink

From: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move postgresql_fdw_validator into dblink
Date: 2012-10-31 01:20:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry for long absence.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
> IIRC, the reason why postgresql_fdw instead of pgsql_fdw was
> no other fdw module has shorten naming such as ora_fdw for
> Oracle.
> However, I doubt whether it is enough strong reason to force to
> solve the technical difficulty; naming conflicts with existing user
> visible features.
> Isn't it worth to consider to back to the pgsql_fdw_validator
> naming again?

AFAIR, in the discussion about naming of the new FDW, another
name postgres_fdw was suggested as well as postgresql_fdw, and
I chose longer one at that time. Perhaps only a few people
feel that "postgres" is shortened name of postgresql. How
about using postgres_fdw for PG-FDW?

Once we chose the different name, postgresql_fdw_validator can
be live with postgres_fdw, though their names seem little
confusing.

In addition, it would be worth mentioning that it's not
recommended to use postgresql_fdw_validator as validator of a
third-party's FDW to avoid dependency.

Regards,
--
Shigeru HANADA