Re: buildfarm failures after pgstat patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: buildfarm failures after pgstat patch
Date: 2007-05-27 16:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 01:45:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, just saw that myself. Fixed the backend-side problem, but it
>> would be interesting to find out what ECPG is doing that wasn't exposed
>> by the core regression tests ... maybe we need another regression test.

> Don't see anything that special before the backend crashes.

Actually, what was provoking it was that several of the ECPG tests
disconnect in the middle of a transaction, which was exposing the fact
that pgstat's on_proc_exit hook ran before we'd performed the abort
in ShutdownPostgres. The Asserts I'd sprinkled in there to test the
transaction-awareness logic were unhappy. The visible failure would
be at some random later point, when the crash-recovery logic killed the
backend running the next test.

Is it worth adding something to the regular regression tests to exercise
that code path?