Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date: 2006-05-13 03:12:40
Lists: pgsql-ports
Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
> I believe the trick here is that Solaris 10 will only run on v9 hardware
> (or the sun4u systems), which all have the instruction.   But the v8 ABI
> "model" doesn't have it.   So, in some sense the ABI doesn't "allow"
> this instruction, but the hardware does, so they can just slam it in
> knowing that it'll work.

Well, that might be OK for Sun's compiler since they know what a given
version of Solaris will run on.  But I don't think we can adopt the same
attitude for our gcc code path; that has to work on Sparc-based Linuxen
and BSDen.  I don't think it's appropriate to kiss off support for v8
chips when we haven't seen any proof at all of a performance boost in
return.

Maybe the right answer is to leave the code as-is, ie, deliberately not
the same for Sun and gcc compilers.