Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump
Date: 2008-06-27 14:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Is it desirable that pg_dump doesn't dump config settings set via ALTER
> DATABASE?

Well, it's intentional anyway: that's handled by pg_dumpall.  The basic
design is that anything that can be seen from "outside" a specific
database is handled on the pg_dumpall side.

> I just got bitten by a DateStyle not being restored on my test DB

You could also get bitten by not having restored users or tablespaces
that the dump depends on, so I'm not sure there's a strong argument
here for refactoring the responsibility.