Re: Forcing a 32 bit build on a 64 bit system

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Knight <dknight(at)wsi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forcing a 32 bit build on a 64 bit system
Date: 2007-08-31 16:42:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
Doug Knight <dknight(at)wsi(dot)com> writes:
> In the config.log both build and host now say i686-pc-linux-gnu.
> However, under "checking for C compiler version" I see "Target:
> x86_64-redhat-linux". Should I be concerned about this wrt building a
> pure 32 bit postgreSQL? Also, later in the log, there are references to
> Perl archlibexp and embedded Perl referencing the /usr/lib64 location.

Hmm ... do you have a 32-bit perl installed?  I'm not sure it's really
possible to install both at once, actually, since there can be only one
/usr/bin/perl.  It might be that your best bet is to set up a 32-bit
buildroot using mock.  I just did that for the first time the other day
and it was a lot less painful than I expected ...

OTOH, if you don't actually need plperl for your test, it may not be
worth troubling with.  If you've got a 32-bit executable and it doesn't
crash when used, that should be good enough for experimental purposes.