Re: invalid memory alloc request

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid memory alloc request
Date: 2008-03-17 20:11:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Can't execute statement: ERROR:
> invalid memory alloc request size 18446744072762367400

> It is running on Postgres 8.2.4, and the database size is less than 2G.

> T he requested memory size is ridiculous high, does any one know what is causing this?

Data corruption, likely ...

I do recall that we fixed a couple of bugs recently that could result in
silly results in memory-space-needed calculations, but AFAIR they were
in maintenance commands like VACUUM FULL, and couldn't be triggered by
a plain INSERT. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try an update to 8.2.6
(or 8.2.7, fresh off the presses).