Re: -S is missing in postgresql.conf?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: -S is missing in postgresql.conf?
Date: 2000-09-22 02:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> IMHO we should make -S be configurable in postgresql.conf and let
> users choose what they want.

I agree.  Mind you, I think we should discourage use of -S, because it
makes troubleshooting so much more difficult.  But we shouldn't remove
the option; people who are running a stable application mix and not
having problems may well think they don't need to expend disk space on
a postmaster log.  And if we have the option then it ought to be
supported uniformly via GUC.