Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly
Date: 2008-03-18 15:35:26
Lists: pgsql-sql
"Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I keep getting this error:

> Attempting reset: WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

It looks to me like psql is managing to start a new connection before
the postmaster notices the crash of the prior backend and tells
everybody to get out of town.  Which is odd, but maybe not too
implausible if your kernel is set up to favor interactive processes over
background --- it'd likely think psql is interactive and the postmaster
isn't.

> What could be doing this? It just started out of the blue... I reindexed the
> index it mentioned and it seems to error out more...

If you reindexed only the last-mentioned index, then you reindexed the
wrong thing; it presumably died on the next index of story_member.
I'd reindex the whole table rather than guess which that is.

You should also consider the not-zero probability that you have more
than one corrupted index.  Keep reindexing tables until you can get
through a database-wide VACUUM.