Re: Per database users/admins, handy for database virtual hosting...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per database users/admins, handy for database virtual hosting...
Date: 2004-03-26 18:42:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Maybe it's me being slow, but are we not being over-complicated here? What's
> wrong with saying "database D1 looks up users in local table, D2 in the
> global table". If you are connected to D1, then no-one can see the global
> userlist.

Hmm.  That would amount to saying that there are no global superusers
for D1, which might be a bit of a problem --- if local DBA paints
himself into a corner, you can't get him out.  Backing up a cluster that
has not got global superusers would be a PITA too.

Still, I think you are right that we gotta think outside the box if
we're going to find a way to do this.