Re: CVS changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS changes
Date: 2001-10-01 19:02:40
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
>> Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?

> But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
> on *their* machines. Right??

I think it's a bad idea to create such a policy; anything we do that
raises the bar for docs contributions will just mean that we have less
and worse documentation.  Hasn't our past policy always been "submit
whatever you want, even plain text, and we'll fix the markup later"?

If you want to see the effects of such a policy, you need look no
further than Jan, who still has not committed one line of documentation
about the pgstats views because he doesn't want to be bothered with
SGML.

If Bruce wants to expend a lot of cycles on his machine to provide fast
turnaround of docs changes, that's fine with me.