Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Harald Fricke" <hfricke(at)hdz-nrw(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 2004-05-12 16:09:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> We only take the -L flags from LDFLAGS for the shared library link.  This is
> probably a result of paranoia.  Can you think of a flag that is reasonable
> for a user to set in LDFLAGS by hand that should not end up in the shared
> library link?  Useful LDFLAGS I can think of are -L, -l, -R (or equivalent),
> debugging, optimization, profiling, and maybe some 32/64 bit selection, and
> all of these can be passed to the shared library link.  I'm not sure,
> however, about the assignments in Makefile.hpux.

I think the HPUX flags would be ok; leastwise, if they are not, I'll
soon find out ;-).

If you think this would be a good change, go ahead and make it.  I'd
suggest however that there needs to be a way for the Makefile.port files
to supply loader flags that are used only for executables.  It doesn't
have to be called LDFLAGS though...