Re: Unicode support problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jatinder Sangha" <js(at)coalitiondev(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode support problem
Date: 2005-02-24 17:11:09
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jatinder Sangha" <js(at)coalitiondev(dot)com> writes:
> I've setup the postgres database as follows:

> LANG=C
> initdb -E UNICODE
> createdb -E UNICODE

> I have tried setting locale/lc_ctype to C, POSIX, iso_8859_1, all kinds
> of things, and nothing seems to fix it.

You can't just pick random combinations of locale and database encoding.
Any given locale setting implies a character set encoding, and you have
to use that same encoding as the database encoding; at least if you want
encoding-dependent operations such as upper()/lower() to work. The
locale you want for Unicode (UTF8) may be named something like
"en_US.utf8". Try "locale -a" to get a list of supported locales.