Re: Copy command-Out of memory error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nipuna <nipunajoset(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy command-Out of memory error
Date: 2012-10-09 18:43:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

nipuna <nipunajoset(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am trying to copy a 13G file to postgres db using the 'copy from' command on PGSQL 8.4. After loading 8 million records I got the below error .

> ERROR: out of memory

> DETAIL: Cannot enlarge string buffer containing 1073726116 bytes by 65536 more bytes.
> CONTEXT: COPY teststorage, line 8479575

This makes it look like line 8479575 is, all by itself, wider than 1GB.
If that's really what your data is, you'll need to find some other
representation --- Postgres can't cope with fields wider than 1GB.
(And in practice you don't want to be coming anywhere close to that
limit anyway.)

If you didn't think you had individual rows that wide, maybe this is
due to some sort of quoting or escaping problem in your data file.