Re: error "11"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Merrill <dmerrill(at)lupercalia(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error "11"
Date: 2000-12-22 01:30:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

David Merrill <dmerrill(at)lupercalia(dot)net> writes:
> I am getting a strange error from psql:
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
> and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

> Yes, the postmaster is running. I can run psql -l and get a list of my
> databases just fine.

Odd. 'Connection refused' is a kernel-level rejection, not the
postmaster's; the postmaster never saw this connection attempt.
So issues like which database you were connecting to or what username
you supplied shouldn't affect the behavior. As long as you gave the
same hostname (or lack of one) and port number for both the psql -l and
the normal connection attempt, I'd expect both or neither to get this
error message.

It's possible you'd see this from a transient-overload problem, ie,
multiple processes trying to connect simultaneously, but that wouldn't
be very repeatable.

> This is from the log file:

> Server process (pid 18539) exited with status 11 at Thu Dec 21 16:45:54 2000

That looks like a backend crash, but it wouldn't be related to your
connection problem AFAICS.