Re: BUG #6277: Money datatype conversion wrong with Russian locale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6277: Money datatype conversion wrong with Russian locale
Date: 2011-10-30 19:09:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I think there is no need to leave such assumptions. I would propose the
> following fix: http://pastebin.com/EBw5YB65 (it corrects a BUG #6144 too)
> I can send it as a patch if you wish. Please notice a comments regarding
> regression tests. IMHO at least currency symbol separator should be
> processed as specified in lconv. And maybe mon_decimal_point,
> currency_symbol and negative_sign should be allowed to be empty too if
> it's defined by a locale.

I've committed a patch that improves the handling of cs_precedes,
sign_posn et al.  I don't agree with your proposal to slavishly follow
the locale definition no matter how brain-dead it is, because that would
destroy the ability to dump and reload data without data loss --- for
example, if we obeyed an empty negative_sign setting, we'd lose the
information that a value had been negative.  AFAICT there are no such
locales anyway, other than POSIX for which we definitely don't want to
believe the empty-string setting.