Re: Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Per-Olov Esgard <Per-Olov(dot)Esgard(at)micronic-mydata(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?
Date: 2011-05-26 16:53:41
Lists: pgsql-general
Per-Olov Esgard <Per-Olov(dot)Esgard(at)micronic-mydata(dot)com> writes:
> This is a silly and simple example but it works. The size of the payload
> is approximately the same as the one in my real system.

[ scratches head... ]  I see absolutely no process growth whatsoever
when running this test program, on either HEAD or 9.0.4.  Backend and
client sizes both steady as a rock, when watching them in "top" on a
Fedora 13 box.

In the past, we've seen leakages that only manifested when you used some
nondefault feature, like a higher level of logging, or conversion to a
different client encoding, or something like that.  Maybe you need to
provide more context about your postgresql.conf settings, locale
environment, etc?