Re: Possible to display Unicode symbols in our SGML docs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible to display Unicode symbols in our SGML docs?
Date: 2009-11-22 04:27:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> I don't think there is a strong need to document this at all. Do we say
>> anywhere that columns are separated by vertical lines?

> I think it's not intuitively obvious which is which here. It would be
> nice to mention it.

If it were easy to do, I'd be for doing it.

>> DocBook SGML is limited to something like Latin 1. So delete it.

> You could always write it out longhand "carriage return (code point 8269)"

I don't think mentioning the numeric code point is going to do anything
for anybody. If we can't actually show the symbol, then just saying
"carriage return symbol" seems like the best bet. It might be worth
making sure that the phrase exactly matches the Unicode standard's name
for the glyph, but otherwise I won't sweat it.