Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: "Christian Klemke" <Christian(dot)Klemke(at)t-online(dot)de>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 21:49:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> I think the ultimate solution to this problem is to beef up the
> standalone backend functionality so that apps can just pipe to
> postgres.exe and not bother with the listening server (and security
> implications thereof).

This is actually on the to-do list (or at least my personal to-do list).
I had wanted it so that we could run "pg_dump -s" without a running
postmaster for pg_upgrade purposes.  Bear in mind though that you'd only
get *one* database connection (no, you can't have multiple standalone
backends at once), so I'm not sure it would really be all that great
as a general-purpose application backend.