Some gripes about BugTool

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Some gripes about BugTool
Date: 2000-08-24 04:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I take it the "PostgreSQL BugTool Submission" posts that've been
appearing on pgsql-bugs for the last day or so are output from our
much-discussed new bug tracking system. I have a couple of major
problems with these reports:
1. Utterly useless Subject: line. Why does the form ask
for a "short description" if not to use as a subject?
2. From: line is pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, ie, the mail
list address, not the address of the bug submitter.
This makes it hard to reply to the submitter.
3. Webform does not ask for platform etc. info requested
by our standard bug report form. Indeed, webform
seems designed to discourage any sort of complete report.
A 70x10 input window and no way to attach files :-(

I may be feeling a tad crabby tonight, but as far as I can see we
have learned nothing whatsoever from the failure of the Keystone
go-round. It won't take too many more of these annoyances before
I set my mail filters to bit-bucket all traffic with "PostgreSQL
BugTool" in the subject line.