Re: buglet in 7.1.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, weigelt(at)metux(dot)de, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: buglet in 7.1.4
Date: 2004-03-09 15:46:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> BTW, I can't really see the harm in putting out 7.1.x and 7.2.x
> releases to fix compilation issues on modern systems.

The "harm" is the developer time spent on doing so. Releasing back
versions takes nontrivial effort (witness what it took to get 7.3.6
out the door :-().

Also, quite frankly, I don't want to encourage people to keep using
such old releases. If they are installing on a new machine they should
update to something newer and less buggy.