Re: BUG #2631: database locking problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross Elliott" <ross(dot)elliott(at)infoterra-global(dot)com>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2631: database locking problem
Date: 2006-09-17 21:45:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Ross Elliott" <ross(dot)elliott(at)infoterra-global(dot)com> writes:
> I've been playing with this a bit more by switching to 8.1.3 with
> postgis 1.1.3 and still get the locking problem.

Well, that's dang odd. PID 9403 seems to be the problem, because it's
got extend lock on topoarea_idx2, which is a lock that should be held
for only a *very* short time. Apparently it's blocked on an LWLock
inside either ReadBuffer or LockBuffer --- but the LockBuffer should
certainly not block because ReadBuffer should have returned a page that
never existed until just now, and hence couldn't be locked by anyone
else. Even more interesting, topoarea_idx2 is a plain btree, which
shouldn't be affected at all by postgis. And none of this code has
changed much recently.

Can you attach to 9403 with a debugger and get a stack trace to confirm
exactly where it's blocked?