Re: stopping server does not remove external_pid_file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: stopping server does not remove external_pid_file
Date: 2006-06-07 03:32:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Doesn't removing the file reduce the chances of failing to start later
> in case another postmaster already has that pid?

No, because the external pidfile has zero to do with Postgres' internal
behavior.

Personally I always thought that the external pidfile was a "feature"
we should have rejected.  It can never be a particularly reliable guide
to what PG is doing, the more especially so if the program looking at it
isn't doing any cross-checking, as the OP seems not to be doing.