Re: Parameter name standby_mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Date: 2010-02-12 14:46:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Joachim Wieland wrote:
>> If no primary_conninfo variable is set explicitly in the configuration
>> file, check the environment variables. If the environment variable is
>> not set, don't try to establish a connection.

> The environment variables in question are the libpq environment
> variables like PGHOST, PGPORT. The server shouldn't need to know about
> them.

Even more to the point is that some of them, like PGPORT, are highly
likely to be set in a server's environment to point to the server
itself.  It would be extremely dangerous to automatically try to start
replication just because we find those set.  In fact, I would argue that
we should fix things so that any such variables inherited from the
server environment are intentionally *NOT* used for making SR
connections.