Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence
Date: 2002-01-25 15:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com> writes:
> Since I was at first Oracle DBA, I've been told many times at
> professional trainings that when there is a table wich primary key is
> generated by a sequence, it is worth create a RTREE index on it rather
> than a BTREE (for index balancing reasons).

Huh?

RTREEs are for two-or-more-dimensional data (the implementation in PG
only handles 2-D, IIRC). So they're not applicable to scalar data.
In any case, the claim that RTREEs are more readily balanced than BTREEs
seems totally unfounded to me.

In PG, the btree implementation is by far the best-tested,
best-optimized index access method we have; for example, it's the only
one that has decent support for concurrent access. If you want to use
one of the other ones, I'd recommend you have a darn good reason.