Re: problems compiling on solaris

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems compiling on solaris
Date: 2004-03-26 17:59:43
Lists: pgsql-ports

Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to compile pg7.4.1 on Solaris using the Sun compilers. All
> works fine except that I get this error in tuptoaster.c:

> "tuptoaster.c", line 831: member can not have variably modified type: data
> cc: acomp failed for tuptoaster.c

That's bizarre. It's pointing at this declaration:

struct
{
struct varlena hdr;
char data[TOAST_MAX_CHUNK_SIZE];
} chunk_data;

The only thing I can think of is that your compiler must be too stupid
to reduce the TOAST_MAX_CHUNK_SIZE expression to a compile-time
constant. I'd report that to Sun as a compiler bug --- this code has
been like this for a good long time, and no one has ever reported a
compiler unable to deal with it before.

A short-term workaround for you could be to compute TOAST_MAX_CHUNK_SIZE
by hand and change its #define in src/include/access/tuptoaster.h
to be a simple constant.