Re: printing raw parse tree

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: printing raw parse tree
Date: 2008-07-30 14:56:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Very often I find it is useful to print raw parse trees for debugging
> and/or understanding PostgreSQL internals and I personally modify
> pg_parse_query() to accomplish it. If this is common among developers,
> I would like to post small patches. Opinion?

Isn't the post-parse-analysis tree far more interesting? There's
already debug support for printing that.

Of course, you can call pprint() from anyplace using gdb, so for
occasional debugging needs I think no special code support is needed.
I think what you are proposing is something equivalent to the
debug_print_parse GUC, and I'm not sure it's worth that.