Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Jason McManus <mcmanus(dot)jason(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-06-30 17:41:53
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 11:39:04AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It might be worth pointing out that mysql's replication falls over
>> if you so much as look at it crosseyed. I have not had to use it
>> for production purposes, but I can tell you that the mysql
>> replication regression tests fail ... irreproducibly of course ...
>> almost one time in two in Red Hat's build environment.

> Are those tests, or at least descriptions of them, available?

Sure, it's just the standard "make test" sequence in mysql's source.
If you want to do exactly what I'm talking about, grab the latest
mysql SRPM off the Fedora download server and "rpmbuild --rebuild" it.
There's a very long regression test suite (much larger than ours :-()
and when it fails, it's invariably in one of the replication-related
tests.