Re: backup_label and server start

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup_label and server start
Date: 2007-11-20 15:48:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> writes:
> wouldn't it be a good thing
> for the startup process to ignore (and rename) the backup_label
> file if no recovery.conf is present?

No, it certainly wouldn't.

I don't see why we should simplify the bizarre case you're talking about
at the price of putting land mines under the feet of people who are
actually trying to do a restore. It hasn't lost any data for you,
and it gave you a correct HINT, so I don't have a problem with the
current behavior.