Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: 小波 顾 <guxiaobo1982(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>, chris(dot)ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)uk, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date: 2008-10-29 16:32:00
Lists: pgsql-general
=?utf-8?Q?=E5=B0=8F=E6=B3=A2_=E9=A1=BE?= <guxiaobo1982(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> [ snip a lot of marketing for SQL Server ]

I think the part of this you need to pay attention to is

> Of course, nothing is entirely free, and this reduction in space and
> time come at the expense of using CPU cycles.

We already have the portions of this behavior that seem to me to be
likely to be worthwhile (such as NULL elimination and compression of
large field values).  Shaving a couple bytes from a bigint doesn't
strike me as interesting.

(Note: you could build a user-defined type that involved a one-byte
length indicator followed by however many bytes of the bigint you
needed.  So someone who thought this might be worthwhile could do it
for themselves.  I don't see it being a win, though.)