Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-14 21:34:06
Lists: pgsql-docs
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 14:58, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> It would be more accurate to say that we have not identified a WYSWYG tool
>> which does not mess up the source.  There may be one, it would just take a
>> fair amount of testing to find it.

> Is this strictly a question of indentation, or one of actually mangling
> tags and such?

What we need is something that does not change regions of the file that
the user did not intend to modify.  I think horizonal-white-space-only
changes could be worked around if the user is careful to use diff
--ignore-space-change when submitting the patch, but I suspect that an
editor that thinks it can mangle whitespace will also figure that it can
change line boundaries, and then diff will never be able to extract any
signal from that noise.