Re: directory of pg freelancers

From: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: directory of pg freelancers
Date: 2010-12-11 02:13:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> So my idea was to do a quite simple directory of freelancers - for each
>> freelancer there would be a basic description, knowledge, maybe projects
>> he worked on, contact details and a address/GPS. Those interested might
>> go
>> there, enter an address and they'd immediately see what freelancers or
>> companies are nearby. All that's doable in days using Google Maps API.
>
> Right, what I'm saying is that you'd want to build a replacement to the
> existing professional_services app, rather than a completely separate
> piece of software.

Hm, that makes sense, as someone who's looking for a support contact
naturally goes to postgresql.org. On the other side, we definitely want to
keep a 100% localized version directory.

> Oh, and just because it's a PostgreSQL site ... you'd need to use
> PostGIS/Openlayers instead of Google Maps. EYODF, you know? ;-)

OK, and just for fun - let's use PostgreSQL 7.4, which was just reached
EOL. ;-)

I didn't know about Openlayers - thanks, it seems very nice (although it
lacks some very important features - e.g. a geocoding support).

>> Again, those are companies. I was talking mainly about freelancers, i.e.
>> individual people who can provide consultancy and support related to
>> PostgreSQL.
>
> A lot of the "companies" listed are actually a single contractor.

OK, I didn't realize that.

Tomas