Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Date: 2007-04-02 05:08:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> No, we've never exported those with the intent that client code should
>> use 'em.

> I thought PQescapeString() of 8.3 uses mbverify functions to make sure
> that user supplied multibyte string is valid.

Certainly --- but we can change PQescapeString to match whatever we do
with the pg_wchar functions.  The question was whether we intend to
support client application code (outside libpq) using those functions.
That's definitely not the intent.  exports.txt lists only PQmblen and
pg_utf_mblen as exported (and I have to wonder why the latter is
separately exported...), which means that client code on modern
platforms isn't even capable of getting at the others.