Re: slow query, different plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Midge Brown" <midgems(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow query, different plans
Date: 2012-08-04 06:26:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Midge Brown" <midgems(at)sbcglobal(dot)net> writes:
> I'm having a problem with a query on our production server, but not on a laptop running a similar postgres version with a recent backup copy of the same table. I tried reindexing the table on the production server, but it didn't make any difference. Other queries on the same table are plenty fast.

Reindexing won't help that. The problem is a bad statistical estimate;
it thinks there are about 700 rows with applies2 = 256, when there's
really only one. That means the "fast" plan is a lot faster than the
planner gives it credit for, and conversely the "slow" plan is a lot
slower than the planner is expecting. Their estimated costs end up
nearly the same, which makes it a bit of a chance matter which one is
picked --- but the true costs are a lot different. So you need to fix
that rowcount estimate. Raising the stats target for the table might
help.