Re: TPC-R benchmarks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: Oleg Lebedev <oleg(dot)lebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>,Mary Edie Meredith <maryedie(at)osdl(dot)org>, Jenny Zhang <jenny(at)osdl(dot)org>,pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TPC-R benchmarks
Date: 2003-09-29 16:33:39
Lists: pgsql-performance
Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> writes:
> Also if you have fast disk drives, you can reduce random page cost to 2 or 1.5.

Note however that most of the people who have found smaller
random_page_cost to be helpful are in situations where most of their
data fits in RAM.  Reducing the cost towards 1 simply reflects the fact
that there's no sequential-fetch advantage when grabbing data that's
already in RAM.

When benchmarking with data sets considerably larger than available
buffer cache, I rather doubt that small random_page_cost would be a good
idea.  Still, you might as well experiment to see.