Re: BUG #5603: pg_tblspc and pg_twoface directories get deleted when starting up service

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nacho Mezzadra <nachomezzadra(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5603: pg_tblspc and pg_twoface directories get deleted when starting up service
Date: 2011-01-19 19:41:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Nacho Mezzadra <nachomezzadra(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Tom, Robert, sorry I am coming back to you after a while, but we still
> have the same issue.  This has been happening in our environments, but
> now it is also happening in customers' environments -which we do not
> set up- and it is also happening.  All environments are always Red Hat
> Enterprise 5.3.

You still haven't given any reason to think this is a Postgres bug,
nor indeed any information beyond what you said originally.

One thing that strikes me is that both pg_tblspc and pg_twophase are
empty and unused during normal operation (if you're not using the
relevant features).  They are scanned during postmaster startup though,
which is why you're getting failures then.  I suspect that these
subdirectories are not in fact getting removed during PG shutdown or
restart, but were deleted some time before that.  In particular I wonder
if somebody's loosed an overaggressive tmp-file-cleaning script on your
whole filesystem.  Something that was removing empty directories that
hadn't been accessed in awhile could explain this.