Re: COPY errors when trying to convert from 7.4.19 to 8.3.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY errors when trying to convert from 7.4.19 to 8.3.1
Date: 2008-05-01 20:34:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> writes:
> Shane Ambler wrote:
>> You would have two choices - clean up the data in 7.4 before the export
>> or clean up after the import and before the fk constraints are added.

> The latter is likely the plan.  The primary concern is that we don't
> lose any data.

There seem to be two possibilities: either the data was actually
inconsistent in the 7.4 database (in which case it would be good to
find out how it got that way), or the data is fine but the pg_dump
script tried to do the ALTER ADD CONSTRAINT too soon (in which case
it would be good to find out why pg_dump got confused about that).
In either case I'm hoping you still have the 7.4 installation available
for inspection ...