Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?
Date: 1998-08-24 21:52:20
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> I am convinced.  Hide the structure members, and lets go through beta
> like that.  If we have problems, we can supply a patch to expose the
> structure members, with the knowledge there will be no workaround patch
> for 6.5.  They have to fix it by then.

Actually, the "patch" will just be to #include libpq-int.h along with
lipq-fe.h.  I arranged for libpq-int.h to be one of the installed header
files, with the idea that some people would rather do that than fix
their code properly.  It's their choice: if they want to depend on libpq
internals and have a greater risk of their code breaking across
releases, they can.  I just want to discourage that a little bit, and
make it real clear what's considered supported API and what's considered
internal detail.