Re: Win32 hard crash problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date: 2006-08-31 22:39:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> My bet is something depending on GetTickCount to measure elapsed time
>> (and no, it's not used in the core Postgres code, but you've got plenty
>> of other possible culprits in that stack).

> This doesn't quite make sense. The only reason we have to reboot is
> because PostgreSQL no longer responds. The system itself is fine.

The Windows kernel may still work, but that doesn't mean that everything
Postgres depends on still works.  I'm wondering about (a) the TCP stack
(and that includes 3rd party firewalls and such, not only the core
Windows code); (b) timing or threading stuff inside the application
that's using libpq, which the only thing we know about so far is that
it's *not* JDBC/Hibernate.