Re: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Allen(dot)Kimberly(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Wright(dot)Steve(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov
Subject: Re: Unrecognized variable client_encoding
Date: 2001-03-14 14:56:00
Lists: pgsql-ports
Allen(dot)Kimberly(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov writes:
> I did an install of 7.0.3 on a RedHat Linux 6.2 box that has had all
> previous versions of postgreSQL removed.

You may *think* that all previous versions were removed, but there's
clearly still a copy of a multibyte-enabled libpq.so hanging about
somewhere, and it's getting invoked by those commands.  Look through
your PATH for unexpected copies of the PG executables (createdb, psql,
etc) and look at your dynamic loader configuration to see what library
directories are being searched for shared libraries.  (You may well
need to add something to /etc/ld.so.conf and/or re-run ldconfig, anyway,
to make sure that the system knows about the new PG .so files.)