Re: BUG #4398: Backslashes get escaped despite of backslash_quote=off

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rainer Glueck" <rainer(dot)glueck(at)netminds(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4398: Backslashes get escaped despite of backslash_quote=off
Date: 2008-09-04 16:53:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Rainer Glueck" <rainer(dot)glueck(at)netminds(dot)de> writes:
> How can backslashes be stopped from escaping themselves in like-statements

Use ESCAPE ''.  There isn't any other way provided.  I suppose we might
consider inventing a separate GUC parameter to specify what the default
escape sequence is, but we wouldn't overload any existing parameter to
do it.

I think the reason the issue hasn't come up before is that it doesn't
seem real useful: if you have no escape character then you have no
way to quote % and _, and those are at least as likely to need to be
plain data characters as \ is.