Re: Isolated databases or instances

From: "Henry, Nigel, CYFD" <nigel(dot)henry(at)state(dot)nm(dot)us>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Isolated databases or instances
Date: 2007-02-16 22:30:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

More information:

As stated, this is going to be a SLES 9.3 environment -- 64-bit. VMWare, for now, is out of the question because we currently only have IBM HS20 blades which are unable to host the 64-bit environment in VMWare. So we're running the OS on bare metal. As I mentioned in my original post, we are trying to use our blades wisely by creating the three separate, isolated environments across the blades. Much like this: #
separate install instances of the HTTP server (3 -- DEV/Test/UAT) 1st blade;
separate install instances of the application server
(3 -- DEV/Test/UAT) 2nd blade -- the HTTP server will be installed from the application build rather than as a separate install; and
three PostgreSQL database instances (3 -- DEV/Test/UAT) on the last blade.
This is the only way we can create three environments since even though we have three blades, the blade housing databases belongs to the DBA group. The application being developed is in Java and is not a transaction-intensive application.

Nigel D. Henry
State of New Mexico
Computer Software Engineer
Children, Youth, & Family Division
Nigel(dot)Henry(at)state(dot)nm(dot)us
(505) 841-6631

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided for under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message.