Re: New postgres installation

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New postgres installation
Date: 2008-08-14 19:54:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
I'm running Solaris 10.  I'm not sure whether I'd compile source or
use package manager.  I haven't done enough research to know which
one is right for us.  I will be migrating my old data into the new
version.  I don't have any client apps that need testing - yet.  In
fact, I don't have any client applications.  I'm in an academic
environment.  The databases I have on this server are largely student
creations.  There are two faculty research projects that are using
this but one of them is closed down for now, and they other is one
that I'm rewriting from ColdFusion to PHP, and it hasn't really
started yet.  That's part of my reason for wanting to do this now.
We are between the last summer session and the start of the fall
semester.  This upgrade will effect very few people at this time.  I
just really want to put this back where the earlier one was, if I
can.  The faculty have syllabi that have paths and links in them that
will confuse the students if things aren't where they expect.

Carol