Re: knngist - 0.8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: knngist - 0.8
Date: 2010-10-18 20:02:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Frankly, I have no idea what knngist has to do with any of this, as I
>> haven't followed that topic at all.

> Me neither, except for the fact that the PostGIS guys are interested
> in both things. I think this thread has been hijacked OT.

We got there by discussing how ordering information could be passed
around for knngist operators. Robert said something about side
channels, and I mentioned that maybe collation information should
pass through a side channel as well instead of trying to make it work
like typmods, and then it drifted to rethinking typmods as long as we
were thinking about having to touch everyplace that deals in typmods.
I agree the thread is far OT --- most of the recent messages belong
in discussion of the collation patch more than they do with knngist.
But there is some overlap if you think about whether these problems
could be solved together.