Re: libpq: Newbie help w/ data type conversions on

From: jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl
To: "Marvin Bellamy" <marvin(dot)bellamy(at)innovision(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: Newbie help w/ data type conversions on
Date: 2005-03-31 03:29:04
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> I'm coming from a Java background, so I'm relatively new to C/C++ in
> general.  I want to convert the data retrieved from a field to an
> "external" data type I can use; specifically a datetime or a timestamp.
> It looks like the only option for retrieving field data is as raw bytes,
> but I haven't found any information on mapping those byte streams to
> structures.

Actually, values are delivered as C-style strings by default.  So it may
help get a feel for things if you print a few of them out to the console.

> Also, is there any sort of a libpq API, or are you just stuck with
> perusing header files?

In C and C++, header files are normally the way to define an API.

> I had zero luck following the build instructions for libpqxx on Windows,
> so it looks like libpq is my only option for now.

Perhaps that can be fixed.  What problems did you run into, and using
which compiler exactly?

Jeroen