Re: install-strip causes dyld errors on OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install-strip causes dyld errors on OS X
Date: 2007-10-30 17:09:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> It would also be good to make --enable-debug the default.

> The last time I did a build with both --enable-debug and --enable-cassert,
> I was seeing pgbench results that were significantly (around 40% I think)
> slower than without those two.

Yeah, cassert is expensive (mostly it's the CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY part,
which you can disable separately if you have a mind to). --enable-debug
is supposed to be free when using gcc, though I've never tried to verify
that. We can *not* make --enable-debug the default on non-gcc
compilers, though, and that makes me uncomfortable about turning it on
by default for gcc ... platform-specific defaults don't sound good.