Re: Extension prevents dumping table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(dot)ganesan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extension prevents dumping table?
Date: 2012-05-09 17:41:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
Chander Ganesan <chander(dot)ganesan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> With PostGIS 2.0 if I load/install postgis using the command:
> create extension postgis schema postgis;

> And then use the command:

> pg_dump -t postgis.spatial_ref_sys dbname > spatial_ref_sys.sql

> I get an output that contains a few "set" statements, but no table
> definition or data from the table.

> However, if I install the PostGIS components the "old" way (not using
> the extension loader), the pg_dump of the table works just fine.

> Any ideas how to fix this or why this happens?

I don't think there is anything to "fix".  If the table is part of the
extension then it should not get dumped separately.  I don't know enough
about PostGIS to know if there's a valid reason to want to dump that
table by itself, but if you think there is, you should take it up with
the PostGIS authors; there may be a need to adjust the way PostGIS is
packaged into an extension.