Re: patch for temporary view from TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Koju Iijima <koju(at)fast(dot)fujitsu(dot)com(dot)au>,pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for temporary view from TODO list
Date: 2005-02-02 05:39:03
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
>> The references to "CASCADED" (sic) in the patch are surely bogus.

> Per SQL:2003 section 11.22, it is spelt "CASCADED".

Maybe I'm reading the wrong thing, but the only uses of CASCADED-with-
a-D that I see in the spec are in the context of WITH CHECK OPTION,
which this patch does not implement.  I am not sure why we are
documenting stuff we don't implement.

>> "tempViewWalker" in view.c is bereft of either comments or a usefully
>> descriptive name.

> I've added the forward declaration, but I couldn't think of a better
> name for the walker routine. isViewOnTempTableWalker() seemed too
> clumsy; any suggestions?

isViewOnTempTable_walker.  If that isn't euphonious to you, then change
the name of isViewOnTempTable.  Everywhere else that we have walker
subroutines, foo() invokes foo_walker().  You need a seriously good reason
to deviate from that convention.

>> Does the gram.y change really require breaking out OR REPLACE as a
>> separate production, and if so why?

> Without a separate production, you get 8 shift/reduce conflicts because
> both opt_or_replace and OptTemp can be reduced on the empty string.

[ scratches head... ]  Seems like it ought to work anyway, since there
are no lookahead keywords for which the parse is ambiguous.  I still
think there's something odd here.

If we do have to do it this way, a minor readability improvement would
be to write the CREATE case first and CREATE OR REPLACE second.