Re: I saw a table that wasn't there

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tom(dot)Bakken" <Tom(dot)Bakken(at)tx(dot)usda(dot)gov>
Cc: Postgres User Group <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I saw a table that wasn't there
Date: 2001-05-04 14:10:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Tom.Bakken" <Tom(dot)Bakken(at)tx(dot)usda(dot)gov> writes:
> My problem reminds me of the poem "I saw a man who wasn't there".
> I created a table some time ago. When I try to drop it it says "no such
> file or directory". When I run vacuum or copy out it also says it isn't
> there. However, when I try to create a table with the same name it says
> the table already exists.

> I'm running Postgres 6.5.2 on Red Hat LINUX 6.1.

I suppose you got into this state by trying to roll back a DROP TABLE.
Doesn't work in pre-7.1 Postgres --- the physical file is already
removed as soon as you execute the DROP command.

(a) Create a physical file for the table ("touch
$PGDATA/base/dbname/tablename") and then you'll be able to drop the
thing.

(b) Update to 7.1 ASAP.