Re: unable to fail over to warm standby server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mason Hale <mason(at)onespot(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: unable to fail over to warm standby server
Date: 2010-02-09 21:59:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yes. Please see the existing code in the postmaster that prints
>> subprocess exit codes, and duplicate it (or perhaps refactor so you can
>> avoid code duplication; though translatability of messages might limit
>> what you can do there).

> Here's what I came up with. Translatability indeed makes it pretty hard,
> I ended up copy-pasting.

Looks reasonable to me. One possible objection is that someone running
in "terse" logging mode would not get any information about the child
process's exit code, since errdetail would be suppressed in that case.
But we can probably live with that --- as far as I can tell, few people
use terse-mode logging.